Thursday, June 5, 2014

Childhood Ruined: Tom and Jerry


Childhood ruined.


I was really depressed when i watched this Tom and Jerry clip yesterday, it made me wondered why they have to do this. Do they really need to die?


I was an avid fan of Tom & Jerry, since childhood, we watch this show every morning and every time there are no good shows to watch in TV, we used to watch this together with my family and these moments really makes me miss the old times. My dad always buys those T&J CDs every weekends in the nearby malls in our previous hometown, too bad those CDs are now hidden in my grandma's house in the province, and I think it's already in bad condition. is there a gadget that could restore this type of thing? I hope so.


It's too coincidental to miss something you don't think of everyday and then suddenly shows up with a depressing surprise. Last night while pondering in our TV, Cartoon Network then broadcast some of the old Tom & Jerry show, then in my mind I said, "Oh another Tom & Jerry show,what a waste." that's because I'm old now and I think I've watched all the episodes of T&J but I decided to give it a shot. Then, the screen shows up its title card, "Blue Cat Blues" and I said "Wow, new episode." The amusement in myself doubted in me because of the old animation style. "Nah, no it's not, probably I missed this one."



Episode title card.
I continued to watch the show and for real, I'm having fun as I giggled on the first scene. They showed Tom with a high like on weeds face. And I was amazed and curious because normally they don't speak in the show but in this episode, Jerry is seen "speaking" and the funny thing here is in his tiny little body, who would have imagine that he has this very deep voice!

Tom is so damn high.
And then as Jerry narrates the story, I came to understand why Tom is like this. He was very depressed. Why? because Tom was so brokenhearted, in this episode, Tom was about to take suicide because of depression, he said that he already tried to stop him but failed and he said it's better off this way. As Jerry recalls the past events, he and Tom were best friends until Tom met this attractive female cat, he tried every thing to win the female cat's heart but Tom's goal was blocked by Butch, a more wealthier cat. 

Butch kissing the female cat as Tom watches in jealousy.
Knowing how rich Butch is, the opportunist dumps Tom and becomes Butch's new girlfriend. This event made Tom push his limits using all of his finances to buy presents for the female cat such as flowers, diamond rings and a car in order to win back her heart but the female cat is no longer interested in Tom seeing that Butch's presents are much more bigger and expensive. 

Tom was all blinded to the gold digging, blackhearted and opportunist cat and now was brokenhearted, penniless and deep in debt and was in deep sorrow because of this he tried to comfort himself by drinking a glass of milk. He was about to let himself die when  he was carried away by a canal down to the gutter but Jerry came to the last second to rescue him. Tom's depression came to worse after being rescued by Jerry when he saw Butch and the female cat in a car with a sign "Just Married" passed by. In a very deep misery, Tom decided to have suicide by sitting on a railroad track waiting for a train to hit him. Just when Jerry was already contented for his friend and recalling how lucky he is because he have his girlfriend who is faithful to him, he saw a car passed by with a sign "Just Married" with his girlfriend and another mouse in it. In a state of shock, Jerry joined Tom sitting on the railroad tracks waiting for the train to hit them both. The ending has the sound of the whistle of the train turning louder.

Tom and Jerry suffers from depression and attempts to commit suicide.
Now, after watching this episode, I feel disoriented, if I was a kid back then and I've watched this episode, this would be funny but now I understand things already, this is so sad and depressing. I've done a research about this episode and I was really sad after knowing that this was released on the year 1956 and this was the only tragic episode of the series. And it only reappears rarely because of its very tragic element.




No comments:

Post a Comment